So I guess I wrote a book?
Started it in 1999 and finished it in 2009. It's been a labor of love and hate, really. When I first started writing it I was like: Man, I have been in love with Bret Easton Ellis and Dennis Cooper since I was a pre-teen. I should write like that!
Then as I got more life experience and also more confidence as a writer, I started evolving the book. It still has elements of those authors, sure. I've been inspired by plenty more over the years as well. What I did differently though is add my own experiences as much as possible. Originally I set the story in Los Angeles because OMG L.A. IS SOOOO COOL! Then, a couple years later, I re-read what I had written and was like: WTF?! It sounded like if I died and had to choose between L.A. and heaven, I would choose the former. That's just nutty. Eventually I did countless weeks and weeks and weeks of research on early 90s L.A. plus I used my own experiences of visiting the city and my own experiences in general. It wasn't just about Ray Bans and claiming to be bored every five minutes anymore. I didn't want to set it in a place I am familiar with because: 1) Canada (especially Ottawa) is boring (in my opinion) and 2) I didn't want it to be too personal.
But really...it is very personal. I almost want to keep it to myself but then what did I write it all down for? I'm being very confusing, I know, but this is the first thing I've written that I've decided I want to share with anybody. It's a strange feeling.
No comments:
Post a Comment